Logo of Malaysian-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Foreign Workers

Maid Visa (Foreign Domestic Helper, FDH), Foreign Worker's Permit, Special Pass

Immigration_Work Permits

Maid Visa (Foreign Domestic Helper, FDH)

A Maid Visa allows the holder to be employed as a foreign maid for the holder of an Employment Pass or Residence Pass (-Talent). This visa is reserved for maids coming from Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and India. Maids from other countries are not eligible for a Maid Visa. Additionally, eligibility conditions for working as a foreign domestic helper and obtaining the visa are:

  • to be female and not less than twenty-one (21) years old and not more than forty-five (45) years old;
  • to be confirmed fit by a medical report from the country of origin which has been certified by a clinic appointed by the Ministry of Health Malaysia (FOMEMA);
  • Maids who failed the medical examination are not permitted to work and the employer needs to obtain the Check Out memo from the Immigration Department of Malaysia and arrange for her immediate repatriation;
  • reside in the country of origin;
  • enter Malaysia via calling visa issued by the Malaysian embassy, consulate etc. in the country of origin.

The eligibility to hire foreign maid(s) depends on the number of the maid(s) and the salary of the expatriate:

  • One (1) foreign maid under a salary drawn between RM 5,000.00 and above;
  • Two (2) foreign maids with a salary drawn between RM 10,000.00 and above;
  • Three (3) foreign maids with a salary drawn between RM 15,000.00 and above;
  • For four (4) and subsequent foreign maids, employer should refer to Immigration Department for further requirements.
  • The duration is twelve (12) months. The Maid Visa is renewable online and is combined with a Multiple/Entry Visa.

Foreign Worker's Permit

Foreign Workers are only allowed to work in certain fields such as manufacturing, construction, plantation, agriculture and service. A quota of foreign workers must be obtained by employers/companies from the Ministry of Home Affairs.

Foreign workers are allowed to work on a yearly basis for up to ten (10) years. The permit is valid for a period of twelve (12) months. Employers can apply for extensions three (3) months before the expiry date and need to ensure the application for extension is made before the expiry date. Applications submitted after the expiry date will be referred to the Immigration Enforcement Division for consideration due to overstay.

Get in touch